How Solar Water Heaters Work
There is a considerable amount of CO2 reduction when you install a solar water heater — 50 percent to be exact. This means that by choosing Mirasol FAFCO Solar to install your solar water heater, you are cutting your hot water carbon footprint in half. At the same time, you are also conserving nonrenewable fuels for applications that have no available renewable energy sources.
Solar water heaters can work in conjunction with traditional heaters, but they can also work in conjunction with solar thermal panels, which use sunlight to produce hot water. While the system of solar water heating is complex, here are the most important parts of a solar thermal hot water system:
The Collector – The collector is the black panel that sits on your roof. It can vary in size, but will sit in a direct, unblocked view of the sun. There are three types of collectors, known as flat-plate collectors, batch collectors, and evacuated tubes.
- Flat plates are the simplest kind of collectors, where water pipes run through shallow metal boxes coated with thick black glass. The glass collects and traps heat, which the water running through the pipes picks up and transfers to your hot water tank.
- Evacuated tubes look like fluorescent strip light, and work by collecting and trapping the heat from sunlight. The heat is carried to the hot water tank, but unlike flat-plate collectors, they don’t let much heat escape back out again, making them more efficient.
- Batch Collectors – Also called an Integrated Collector-Storage system, water is heated in dark tanks within an insulated box. Water can remain in the collector for long periods of time, making it very hot. The tempering valve, however, can be used to mix in cold water. Batch collectors are not recommended for cold climates.
- Hot Water Tank – The hot water tank stores the heat from your collector, acting as a kind of battery that you can heat up (usually at night) so it’s ready for use during the day. If you don’t have a hot water tank, then you’ll need to get one installed.
- Heat Exchanger – Solar panels transfer the heat from the collector to the tank through a circuit called the heat exchanger. Heat that is collected by the panels heats up the water that flows through a circuit of pipes inside your hot water tank. The heat passes into the hot water tank, and cooled water returns to the collector to pick up more heat. The water in the collector will not exit through your faucet.
- The Pump – A pump makes water circulate, as the water cannot circulate by itself. You can have an electric pump in place, which offsets the benefits of having a solar water heater, or you can install a solar-electric pump instead
- The Control System – This control system allows you to switch off the water circuit in cold weather so you don’t transfer freezing water into your hot water tank. A control system can include a pump, flowmeter, pressure gauge, thermometer, and a thermostat.
Mirasol Has the Experience
With over 35 years in the solar panel industry, Mirasol FAFCO Solar has the experience, dedication, and knowledge to install your solar water heating system to run for years to come. Mirasol Fafco is an exclusive distributor of FAFCO hot water heating systems, which is ranked number one in the industry. We want to carry on the tradition of energy efficient products for your home by innovating solar energy products and swimming pool heaters. We are proud to service 10,000 customers with products that make life a little easier, like pool/spa automation, natural purifiers for pools, solar water heaters, pool cleaners, heat pump pool heaters, and gas pool heaters.
In addition to being the best provider in solar electric products, we strive to help our community by giving back to it. We want to make a positive impact on the world by caring and educating our community, and by supporting local businesses and organizations that are making a difference in people’s lives. The charities that we are proud to support include:
- Children First – This organization provides care and guidance to over 600 vulnerable children and their families.
- The Wounded Warrior Project – This organization serves veterans and service members who incurred a physical or mental injury, illness, or wound during their military service on or after September 11, 2001.
- 40Ocean – This organization is a global movement that actively removes trash from the ocean and coastlines, inspiring people to work together to improve the state of our oceans.
Our success is because of our team, our community, and the support of our satisfied clients. Mirasol FAFCO Solar is dedicated to improving our customers’ lives while also improving the planet. For more information about our services, or for professional installation, contact us today. We look forward to hearing from you!